History & Governance

The St Peter's Collegians' Association was formed in 1870 and has more than 11,000 members living throughout Australia and the world. It is one of the oldest and largest old scholar communities in Australia. The history of the St Peter's Collegians' Association reflects in many ways the history of the School that gave it life and which it strives to support.

The first meeting of 'An Association of Old Scholars' was held in 1863 but little else happened after that until 1868 when an inaugural Committee of seven met. After this the group developed quickly. By 1884 membership had reached 128 and the Association established a Scholarship at the School. Honorary Secretary, A.E.H. Evans retired in 1923 after twenty-three years of service, during which time membership had grown from 200 to 2000.

In the early 1900’s various branches outside Adelaide began to appear. There were Association functions in London, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Kalgoorlie, Broken Hill, Mount Gambier, Port Pirie, Wallaroo, Katanning, Southern Cross, Day Dawn and Kingscote. It is a feature of the Association's early years that there was strong representation in rural communities. Boarding House students formed a large proportion of the overall School population, which partially explains this active rural program.

Branches continue to form an important part of the Association, although our spiritual and administrative home remains in Adelaide. Melbourne and Perth Branches have traditionally been active and well supported. They have their own Committees and can operate almost independently from the Association in Adelaide. Every state and territory capital outside Adelaide conducts at least one function in the year with some hosting multiple functions.

Throughout the Association's history sport has been a central consideration. The Cricket, Football and Athletics Clubs are the oldest and most traditional of the Old Scholars Sporting Clubs. However as the range of sports on offer at the School increased, the Association reflected this trend, with Soccer, Tennis, Basketball and most recently Hockey, Badminton and Water Polo Clubs being formed.

The history of the Association is a long and interesting one. Like the history of the School itself there have been many peaks and the occasional trough, but the Association has remained true to a desire to serve the School and serve its membership. This remains a satisfyingly consistent and steady trend to this day.

For those interested in the history of the School and the Association, a history book of St Peter’s College, “The Messages of its Walls and Fields” can be ordered here.